Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Happy First Birthday Adelaide Penelope!

July 23, 2013

Adelaide Penelope,

July 23rd is a day that will forever be etched in my memory. Your Birth Day one year ago today was one of the best days of my life. I still remember the overwhelming joy I felt as the doctor laid you on my tummy for the first time. I just kept telling you how beautiful you are and how much I love you. And really, I've just kept doing that for the past year. You are so beautiful. And I love you so much.

Here are some of your favorites on your first birthday:

Putting things inside. You are a great helper. When it's time to clean up, I hand you your toys, and you are more than happy to put each toy in the toy box, one by one, by one.
Sometimes we put you inside, too!
Opening and closing. Doors, mostly. We finally got all the important cabinets and drawers baby-proofed, but that doesn't stop you from pulling them out until they catch on the baby latch, and then pushing them back in as hard as you can. I'm amazed at how few times you have slammed your fingers (and toes) in various doors. You also love closing big doors. Sometimes you will close the door to your bedroom while I am in the bathroom, and then you will sit behind the door to your bedroom so I'm locked out. Stinker!

Reading aloud to yourself. When you aren't busy closing the door to your bedroom, you will often occupy yourself by your bookshelf. I've often left you in your room while I put laundry away or clean the bathroom nearby, and every time I pop my head in to check on you, you have a book open and are chattering away, telling your story with the turn of each page.

Brushing your teeth. Or rather, your tooth! You have one lonesome tooth that is just barely peeking out of your gums. But we are earnestly brushing that one tooth each and every day in hopes of getting more. You get so excited when I pull your toothbrush that you immediately say "Ahhhhhh!" and open your mouth wide for me to stick the toothbrush in. Your favorite is sucking on the toothbrush, but we get a couple of brushes on your tooth and your tongue.

Things with straps/handles. At your cousin's birthday party, you got a sand pail, and it quickly became your favorite toy. Since your main method of moving is the scoot, you have two free hands to carry your toys around the house. You LOVE holding the handle of the pail and scooting from room to room. Especially after you fill it with your toys.


Blankie. Without our realizing it, you got attached to a blankie. It began with our habit of putting a lightweight blanket in your crib with you to sleep because you liked covering your eyes with it to block out the light and sound. One day, I noticed that instead of covering your eyes with the blanket, you grabbed it in a hug and rolled over to sleep. And now it's your blankie. I never had a security blanket. I think it's cute that you do.

Feeding yourself. We have mostly transitioned away from pureed foods. Not because you have so many teeth that you are able to chew regular food. Just because you like to feed yourself. So now it's chopping foods into swallowable sized pieces. You love cantaloupe. And peas. And watermelon. And sweet potatoes. And yogurt (but I still feed you the yogurt with a spoon). You'll eat almost anything. But if it's a favorite, you will eat LOTS and LOTS. In those times, I wonder where you are putting it all.


On Saturday, we had a Laidey Bug themed party with our family to celebrate your life. But to me, every day is a celebration of your life. It's hard to remember life without you. I am honored to call you my daughter.
One week old. One year old!

Happy first birthday, Laidey Bug!

Love,
Mama

1 comment: