Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Happy Six Months Adelaide Penelope

Dear Adelaide,

Happy Half-Birthday, Kiddo! You are six months old. Wow. Recently, I've started to get nostalgic in thinking back to your birth and those first few weeks after you were born. Mostly about how tiny and, well, newborn you were. Up to this point, I've been excited at every new milestone (and I still am), but now I find myself battling a mixture of excitement at your new growth and sadness that the days are already slipping by too quickly. I want to enjoy you growing up, so  I will, for the most part, keep the nostalgia to myself henceforth.


Let's see, this month, your biggest milestone was rolling over. You were soooo close to doing it last month; you first rolled over on December 26, the day after Christmas, and three days after you turned 5 months. I guess all the festivities of the holidays weren't enough--you wanted to give us another reason to celebrate.

You also found your tongue. You like to roll it around in your mouth, chew on it, and most of all, stick it out. There were a few weeks where, instead of smiles, all we got was the tongue sticking out, for all your pictures.

Your daddy and I made another leap into adulthood this past month. We bought our first family vehicle--a brand new mini-van! Now we can cart you around with all your stuff, and your pal Fitzy. No more tilting your car seat to just the right angle in order to slide it into the back door of my old Nissan Sentra. No more pushing the passenger seat forward until my knees (yes, even my 5'4" frame was cramped) hit the dash so that your car seat fits behind me. No more piling groceries around the already-full (with your stroller) trunk. Now it's heated seats and auto-sliding doors. We are enjoying the luxury!


New Year's 2013 marked your second calendar year of life. We celebrated by putting you to bed early, only for you to wake up to ring in the New Year with us. Did I mention that the holidays were a bit rough sleep-wise for you? Nevertheless, it was fun to celebrate the turn of the year as a family.


Just one week after New Year's, your Aunt Jessica married your (now) Uncle Chris. The very day of their wedding, while I was busy getting all fancied up for the ceremony, your daddy sent me a picture of you holding your own bottle.


You are such a big girl, holding your own bottle and everything. Aunt Jessica's wedding was a beautiful day, and in addition to celebrating her and Uncle Chris, we had a great time dancing the night away. You even made it an hour past bedtime before daddy took you home. Tired girl!


Your latest thing is to kick your legs. You used to sigh in bed while trying to sleep; now, you kick your legs methodically against your mattress. I hear a WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! upstairs, and I don't worry that there's an intruder. I know it's just you, working out all that extra energy before you go to sleep.

Now on to sitting. You can sit for anywhere from 10-15 seconds without support. You have the strength and balance, you just have to figure out how to remain upright when you want to look at something above your head.

We love watching you change and grow before our very eyes!
And we love YOU.

Mama (and Daddy)

No comments:

Post a Comment